Unethical refusal to refund even during Covid Pandemic
Reviewed 26 April, 2020
This is truly absurd.. The entire world is going through a pandemic, it is impossible to travel to another city at this time, forget about travelling to another country to leisure. But this hotel has out-rightly denied refunding the booking amount. Extremely shady and unethical business practices.
Reviewed 22 April, 2020
My girlfriend and I paid a visit to this hotel in March 2020 before the entire world went into corona lockdown. This is without a doubt one of the best hotels we've ever visited. THANK YOU for an amazing experience. The hotel had a great location close to the metro station, the rooms were absolutely outstanding with a nice view. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful, and I could continue for days.
We will definitely return for our next anniversary. Thank you.
Well designed hotel
Reviewed 7 March, 2020
Nicely decorated hotel, out of the Centre but only 20 minutes with metro or Uber. We had a nice room on the 18th great views. Breakfast is plentiful, dinner options are ok. Staff very friendly. Value for money
Too many niggling negatives for me to consider returning
Reviewed 7 March, 2020
I visited with my boyfriend at the end of October through to early November 2019 for 5 nights as a special birthday trip. There is quite a lot for me to say about this hotel, and so I feel a list is probably the easiest, clearest way to express my opinions.
- excellent transport links into the city centre; the metro station is honestly just outside the front door! It is also a pleasant and straightforward cycle ride once you get used to the cycle lanes!
- really comprehensive and tasty breakfast in a dining area that even when busy did not become overly noisy or result in queues (we booked the hotel with breakfast included in the price).
- quiet and relaxing bedrooms
- we ended one of our evenings in the hotel bar- the staff were attentive, the atmosphere was lovely, and our drinks were delightful.
- the hire bikes! The brakes on both bikes we hired were awful and resulted in more than one near miss, and one episode of the brakes actually becoming effective so suddenly, so late, that my partner nearly hit a child while simultaneously narrowly avoiding being flung over the bike's handlebars.
- the cleaners: I can only presume that either the hotel are short of cleaning staff, or set them ridiculously short turnaround times for rooms. After our second night the pump on my liquid foundation mysteriously started not working (note this was after I had already used the makeup the previous day without a hitch, so not a result of air travel). Later that same day we returned to find our towels had been changed, but unfortunately we had been given 3x hand towels and only 1x bath sheet as replacements. The following day we returned in the evening to find a bin bag and microfibre cleaning cloth still in the room- I took these down to the front desk and while the staff were very apologetic I got the impression that my issue was not taken seriously. And then, on our final night, we returned to our room to find that a new, clean bath mat had been left in the shower by the cleaner, with the shower not properly turned off - the bath mat was completely soaking wet and therefore useless.
- customer service: on returning home from our trip I realised that a necklace I had taken on the trip was missing. After mentally re-tracing my steps I recalled taking it off and leaving it in the bathroom on evening 2-3 of our stay - and then it hit me that I hadn't seen it in the bathroom again since. For clarity, it had very little monetary value but a significant sentimental value to me. I contacted the hotel through their website within days of returning home, knowing it was highly unlikely they would be able to do anything; I never even had a reply.
For me, while there are plenty of positives about this hotel, unfortunately the negatives I also experienced both during and after my stay mean that I could not honestly recommend it, and that I would not return. It is worth noting that I did read a few reviews with similar sentiments to the one I am expressing before booking (especially with regards to cleaning), but decided to stay anyway because of the otherwise positive comments and attractive prices - hindsight is a wonderful thing and I wish I had spent my money somewhere else now.
Reviewed 26 February, 2020
We booked the trip through Gate 1 travel and this is the hotel choice that we were given, and they did not disappoint with this property. If we would have really done our home work on this we would have been able to take the train directly from the airport to the hotel and saved about 45.00 on a cab ride. The check in was a breeze, they let us check in about 3 hours early, which after the 9 hour plane ride was nice. The rooms are appointed nicely and the bed was super comfortable. The bathroom was nice and spacious, I guess the only thing I could say that would make the room better was the pressure from the shower head could have been better, that seems a bit trivial but that's the only thing about the room that could be better. The breakfast buffet every morning was exceptional, great selection and great service from the staff. We enjoyed drinks in the hotel bar every night and the service was awesome, get the seats by the fireplace if you can, they were nice. The Overamstel train station is literally outside the front door of the hotel. You can get any where in Amsterdam from here, it was great. When you leave to go to the airport take the Overamstel train to Zuid station and then buy a ticket on the other railway to the airport it cost 4 Euros one way to the airport. If you are heading to Amsterdam definitely think about staying at this property. We are glad we did!