Calificación por los huéspedes
Calificación de Viajeros
Perfil del Viajero
Resumen de puntajes
Calidad del sueño
Opinión escrita el 5 de Septiembre de 2021
Michael and Frank were gracious hosts, the food and accommodations were fantastic. The setting was very peaceful and relaxing. Highly recommend for your next bed and breakfast stay! Thank you Michael and Frank!
A lovely stay
Opinión escrita el 22 de Junio de 2021
Caledonia is a two-lane strip of asphalt and a handful of very old buildings, in the middle of nowhere. It's as far removed from the freeways and skyscrapers of our Houston hometown as you can get without having to show your passport. The quiet was exactly what we needed.
Host Michael is a raconteur, a font of information, and an outstanding chef. Visiting with him after meals was a wonderful treat. Our room was spacious and impeccably clean, and the meals were fantastic. We enjoyed the sauna and hot tub, but the koi pond and garden were our favorite parts of the grounds.
There's an old-timey confectionery shop a few doors down from the Old Caledonian. The ice cream was really good. And be sure to visit the wonderful Elephant Rocks and Johnson's Shut-Ins state parks, only about 20 minutes away. They are both beautiful.
What a delight!
Opinión escrita el 27 de Mayo de 2021
I treated my niece and daughter to a night at the Old Caledonian Bed & Breakfast, and we were all delighted. Michael and Frank were great hosts and fantastic chefs. Michael's scones were incredible - don't miss the tea time! Breakfast was made with fresh eggs and goat cheese from the animals in their small farm. The jacuzzi and sauna were just what we needed, after a day in the parks, particularly in the evening moonlight. The rooms were each special, but I particularly love having a deep bath tub with wonderful smelling bath salts. Thank you Michael and Frank! I hope to return.
Relaxing getaway with amazing food
Opinión escrita el 15 de Novembre de 2020
We heard about this place and wanted to visit and celebrate my wife's birthday.
Due to the COVID19 pandemic, only 2 of the 4 rooms were available and it was hard to find available dates. We finally found 2 available nights and reserved the Hawthore room.
The room is beautiful and cozy.
The bathroom/shower that was added to the room is very convenient but makes the room a bit smaller. Still, there is plenty of room to relax and enjoy the room.
Since the weather was cold and rainy, we spent a lot of time in the house, sitting in the library, reading and listening to music.
We really enjoyed the the hot tub outside, when it was cold, looking at fall colors of the trees. We then moved to the hot sauna near the hot tub and that was amazing.
Don't miss teatime! Great teas with great home-made pastries.
Chef Jon is amazing and we enjoyed his food very much.
The only regret we have is that we added dinner for one of the two nights we stayed.
Old Caledonian is an amazing historical B&B and we can't wait to go back!
Best place I've ever stayed
Opinión escrita el 4 de Novembre de 2020
My husband and I chose Old Caledonian for our honeymoon after our October wedding, and we could not have been more impressed. It was the PERFECT getaway, for so many reasons:
- I have to start with the FOOD. We dined in for 2 dinners, 3 breakfasts, and 3 tea-times. We had some of the best meals we have ever tasted. Chef Jon in rural Missouri is hands-down the best vegan chef we've ever encountered, and we've eaten at the best vegan restaurants in Chicago, Atlanta, etc. His dishes were innovative, hearty, perfectly seasoned, and beautifully plated. If we lived closer, we'd go all the time just to eat!!
- The lodgings. We stayed in the Heather room, which was stocked with tons of amenities (robes, slippers, ear plugs, shampoo, bath salts, even a bidet). Since the house is on the older side, we thought it might be noisy or creaky, but our room was quiet and comfortable. The decorations made it feel cozy and homey.
- The property. Beyond your room, there is so much to explore throughout the house and its yard. We enjoyed the hot tub, which was easy to use and so refreshing on a cool fall day. We spent time perusing books and board games in the library. We watched the fish swim in the koi pond from the lovely gazebo. The entire property just makes you feel at peace.
- The location. I will be honest... Caledonia is tiny. Population ~130. We figured we'd take a walk around town, but it only took 20 minutes to go up and down the main street. However, we did find lots of gems! We found some antiques and snacks at the General Store, and ate at a local cafe (FDC). The best aspect of the location, however, is the proximity to hiking! We explored both Elephant Rocks and Johnson's Shut-Ins, both of which were a short drive away. In October, rural Missouri was GORGEOUS with the bright fall leaves on every tree. For a city dweller, it will give you some much-needed fresh air.
- The hospitality. Jon and Penny are the best hosts. I was worried that a B&B (it was our first) would not feel "anonymous" enough for me, when compared to a hotel. On the contrary, it felt so warm and inviting to be welcomed into this B&B. There was only one other couple staying there, due to COVID-era capacity limits, but we felt like we had plenty of our own space. Jon was always around to refill our coffees, answer questions about the area, or tell fascinating stories about his life (Tip: ask about Antarctica). He was so accommodating and made us feel very special.
Overall, we were so happy to find this hidden gem! We will definitely be returning in the future, and highly recommend to anyone looking for a B&B experience.