Awful customer service and dirty
Reviewed 23 July, 2021
Me and my husband booked this hotel for a one night stay to visit the area. We are from Florida and were not expecting a 5 star resort. However, we did expect a hygienic and clean place to stay.
When we went to our room, there was a baited rat trap with rat poison on the chair positioned at our front door, the chair that is set out for guests to use!!! Easily accessible by children and pets. When rats use these traps they bring the bait outside and drop pieces of it on the ground as well. People, children, and pets walk through this. Not to mention the rodents relieve themselves in the area. This is so unsafe and disgusting.
Inside was just as bad. There was multiple strands of hair stuck on the shower walls, broken latex balloon pieces on the ground, fishing hooks and a dead roach on the carpet.
We did not feel like the room was safe or clean for us nor even our dog to be in. We returned our keys to the girl at the front desk and explained our issue. She was alone and buried under a ton of laundry that she was folding. She explained she was sorry and would request a refund from the manager. Disappointed we drove back home for the evening.
I gave the hotel time to resolve the refund on their end and also sent an email with no response. After two weeks, I called and spoke with a woman who claimed to be the manager . She informed me that there was no issue with rat poison on the outdoor furniture because it’s “matlacha”. She informed me that she was not willing to accommodate us and refund our stay even though we found their rat poison use to be dangerous and regardless of how unclean the room was. She was rather unpleasant to speak with, very defensive and rude.
I tried to give the hotel a chance to resolve the issues on their own but they refused and I feel other travelers should be warned. I can’t recommend staying at a place that cares so little about the health and safety of their guests, has no regard for the cleanliness of their facility, and clearly has no concept of customer service for the guests.
Reviewed 8 June, 2021
I booked this hotel on their website. I payed the deposit and I thought all would be well. A day or two later after I had been thinking about our trip, I decided to upgrade our room to a bigger suite overlooking the water. I e-mailed the hotel to tell them I wanted to upgrade our room. Two days later after not getting a response I decided to give them a call. I left a message. A few days later I tried the email thing again, no response. I continued to call and leave messages to no avail.After going on with this silly nonsense I called the Matlacha chamber of commerce and asked them if she knew if this hotel was open.Her response,"I don't know, the place looks deserted and run down".At that point I decided to call another place in town and book a room where someone actually answers the phone. As a precaution I cancelled my credit card as I was afraid they would deduct the remainder of the room from my account. While I was in Matlacha I visited the Bridgewater Inn to tell them I wanted my deposit back as nobody answered the phone the numerous times I called.The girl behind the desk told me the phone lines weren't working. Mind you, she was on a cell phone talking to someone when I walked in. Pretty sure if your land line is down someone could have called me back on a cell phone, so that was a stupid answer. Anyway, she said I had lost my deposit, but she would speak to her supervisor and have her call me. When I asked when she would call, the girl says "well, she is in the hospital. It is a shady place and I would not recommend staying there as they are thieves. I am currently disputing the charge. (Also, after all that they emailed me an invoice for the remainder of the room charge, even though we didn't stay there!)
Reviewed 2 January, 2021
If you are looking for a cookie cutter Hampton Inn experience, move on. This is for sure a 2 star hotel experience but price and location makes it an ok place to stay. The room was clean, a bit basic, but we did have a little kitchenette.
The motel extends over the water so most rooms have a lovely view.
There isn’t much parking outside, the fairly busy road makes it difficult to back out, but people will help stop the traffic so it’s not a deal breaker. There was a pretty laid back vibe by the motel office staff, which was the overall vibe of the town.
We walked next door and had a couple beers at Bert’s (overlooking the water) and walked to the Blue Dog for dinner (which was excellent)
WARNING - NO PARKING
Reviewed 12 October, 2020
There are only about 5 parking space in front of the building which are constantly full, one with an old red car with a flat tire. We first arrived at 11:30AM, no parking and no one in office. Then came back at 2:30, still no parking and no one in office. Then we came back at 4PM, still no parking and no one in office. This time I called the phone number posted and someone did come, but when I asked where to park they said to park across the street - Bert's across the street was full and has signs posted that they will tow unless you are their customer...I wonder if Bert's knows this motel is telling their guests to park over there. Then we were told by the woman working at the front desk, "It's not my fault you don't have a place to park" this after she told me the old red car with the flat tire was hers - why is staff taking up one of the too few parking spaces? Extremely rude staff, we left and now fighting with Booking.com to get our money back. You've been warned.
Not for us....
Reviewed 7 February, 2020
Lots of little things to add up to 'No, we won't be back.'
First, the pros:
1. The location is good for walking the shops.
2. WiFi is free and secure, although sometimes very slow.
3. TV has cable.
4. View from our 'courtyard view' is actually of docks -- better than expected.
5. The front desk person was nice enough, and the problems weren't her creation, but she also wasn't able to offer much help, either.
Now the cons:
1. Check in was easy, but we were informed that check out is at 10 am -- not the ususal 11 or noon.
2. The refrigerator wasn't working when we arrived. Front desk person was nice about it and came to assist, but determined that the repair person would have to be called -- tomorrow! (We later were able to fix the problem -- PLUG IT IN! Who unplugs a refrigerator?!?)
3. No ice -- because of said non-functioning refrigerator -- No, the office doesn't have ice, but you can drive to the grocery store -- 3 miles away! Oh wait, here's half a tray of ice from another room.
4. No hairdryer in the room -- 'we don't supply one, oh wait, we do have one.....'
5. No working lights over the table -- we were also able to fix the problem, but we shouldn't have needed to do so!!!
6. Room is basically clean,with three exceptions: the A/C unit spouts musty/moldy and the bathroom sink drain stinks like sewage and walking on the carpet makes your feet black!
7. The place needs repair, if not refurbishing. The drapery rod is falling off the wall. The front of the dresser drawer came off in my hands. The beds are uncomfortable and creak when you get in/out of them. Appliances: Refrigerator (new), microwave (unusable on top of the refrig, coffee maker or toaster -- pick two because there are only two plugs for them! The electrical breaker box door is taped shut with painters tape. At least the stove drip pans were clean!
8. The room is set up for four persons in two beds, but the kitchen is only set for three (three dinner plates, three forks, three knives, one teaspoon and two soup spoons, one coffee mug, etc.....) Ditto for towels for three persons.
9. The single closet (all 18 inches of it) has a couple of shelves and no hangers. (Glad I didn't need an iron and board!)
10. Parking is insufficient.
Bottom line -- we won't be back.