The first records of the existence of hot springs on the banks of the Cubatão River were made by Loccok in 1809, which revealed occurrences of waters similar to those of Harrogate (English Spa), most of which have a considerable temperature.
In 1812 a few bottles of water were brought to the Court, and in 1813 the Imperial Government became aware that the inhabitants of the surrounding area were seeking these waters to alleviate their illness. Some even built huts to stay longer.
When indigenous tribes were found to have destroyed the rustic and makeshift facilities, the imperial government deployed a police contingent to guard the site. But on October 30, 1814, the detachment was decimated by the savages.
Only in 1818 the sources were taken from the Indians by order of the government João Vieira Tovar de Albuquerque, who made the first official statement published on February 2 of the same year, highlighting the following: "We have among us a source of public charity. , and will we deprive the public, the nation, and ultimately humanity of this gift that nature has entrusted to us?
Generous citizens, the rich treasure trove of hot springs that we have in front of our eyes, but covered by obstacles, should be made easy and worthy for all generations. Posterity enjoying its benefit must point with its finger and exclaim: "This is due to the Santa Catarina and honors the benefactors of humanity."
Then, at the appeal of the Santa Catarina governor, King João VI issued a decree on March 18, 1818, ordering the construction of a hospital, which is considered the first law for the creation of a Spa in Brazil.
From these official acts, it was determined the provisional construction of some beds, intended to shelter the large number of patients who used the already renowned waters. The vandalism and disrespect already existing at the time, of this unfortunate occurrence, started the users to build huts for temporary use.
Some years later, in 1835, through the Provincial Law No. 16 of May 12, was assigned the execution of the enterprise, created by Imperial Decree, to the City Council of St. Joseph.
In the face of the impossibility of the City Council to carry out such work, the Provincial Assembly, by Law No. 164 of March 18, 1842, instructed the President of the Province to carry it out with Government and other funds from donations and lotteries. Much of the funds for the construction of the hospital were obtained through various lotteries authorized specifically for this purpose.
In 1844, among other resources obtained from donations, the Imperial Government received $ 2,000 réis and from S.M. The Empress 400 $ 000 réis, at which time she accepted the title of Protector of Hospital Caldas, allowing them to be called Caldas da Imperatriz.
Already during the Construction period, in 1845, from 29 to 30 October, Caldas received an honorable visit from the Imperial Couple D. Pedro II and Donas Teresa Cristina, who spent the night there, got to know the fountains and the excellent quality of their waters.
The construction of the 13-room and 6-bath building lasted a few years, and in 1850 a part was completed and its occupation began in a precarious manner until 1855, when the facilities were completed and the furniture assembled. This year, the 6 Carrara marble baths, which are still in perfect condition and in permanent use, were already installed.