close to the beach and beautiful room
Reviewed 5 October, 2021
The hotel is fairly big and was also very well booked while we stayed there for 3 nights.
- The room is beautiful. The bed is very comfortable. The bathroom is also well
equipped. I loved the balcony with the view onto the huge palm trees
- The nearness to the beach with the direct access! I loved it! To me Salgados beach
is one of the best on the whole Algarve
less good points:
- they advertise with 4 restaurants. But only 2 were open.It was impossible to get a table at the a la carte - Italian restaurant
- the buffet food was good, but sadly everything was cold. Even dishes they just replaced were cold
- the atmosphere at the buffet restaurant was not upscale at all, more like a mensa at a huge company
- they advertise with 4 bars, just one was open. the one at the reception, didn't look inviting at all.
- pool is not heated
Although there are points that are less than optimal, I would still return to this hotel
Reviewed 25 September, 2021
We stayed in this resort for one week and it was the most relaxing holiday we have ever had. The feel and vibe is very laid back. Our room was spacious with a stunning view over the pool and out to sea. The pool area is amazing, the main pool is huge, with plenty of space for guests. Breakfast each morning had a good variety and set us up for each day. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful at all times. As the hotel is about 10km from Albufeira we had to get a taxi in a few evenings but we were aware of this before we booked. There are some nice bars and restaurants in walking distance but we do like to go into the old town for a bit more hustle and bustle. We did not eat in the hotel in the evenings so I can’t comment on dinning in the resort restaurants.
Okay, wouldn't go back
Reviewed 29 June, 2021
Room was a decent size, but when we arrived the temperature was set to 10C and actively cooling, so the room was like walking into a fridge. On top of this what they had as a duvet was barely thicker than a duvet cover. We had to request another (no extra anything in the room) and double up. Also room service didn't ever remove or replace our used water glasses, we had to ask for extra shower gel when it was obviously empty, and also for removed towels (side note: grey and worn) to be replaced. Not very 5 star (I actually had to verify the hotel has 5 stars writing this).
Other niggles -
- There is no iron available at all (they told us it was a "safety hazard") so it's creased clothes or very expensive laundry prices for pressing.
- The bathroom has no door, just frosted glass on the shower and toilet i.e. forget privacy. There is also one small bath mat but an expanse of slippery floor.
- The buffet was very blah both for lunch and dinner (dinner was included in our rate but after the first night we ate elsewhere). Coffee is bad from a automatic machine.
- You can kinda see the sea from the hotel, but it's a bit of a walk to the beach - not super far, just annoying if you want a drink / bathroom to make a 10min roundtrip. The beach is lovely though.
- The only open bar was the check-in / lobby area. This was just weird and had no atmosphere.
There are 2x kids pools (both of which kept changing colour due to the chemicals being out of whack with the quantity of urine), a main pool and an adult pool. The adult pool was easily best and in a separate area, however we never worked out how it operated, partially because there seemed to be no communication between the staff there - first we were told we had to reserve the evening before which worked once, the next day they didn't have our reservation but still found us a bed, the last we were told all the beds (mostly empty) were automatically reserved for premium rooms until after lunch (we had reserved the eve before but apparently that no longer counted, but also if we'd know this system even existed when booking, we would have just taken a premium room). They were very understaffed in this area too, resulting in queues to order and long waits for drinks and food.
Overall, it was okay but I wouldn't go back.
Reviewed 9 June, 2021
I returned to vidamar in June 2021. The hotel has undergone some changes and renovations. This is perhaps the least positive aspect. I didn't like the bar being at the hotel reception, the dark tones of the decor or the lack of light in the corridors of the rooms. The rooms are big and very comfortable and the outdoor pool area is huge and very nice. The pool bar serves light meals with good value for money. However, the price of cocktails were a little excessive. The dinner buffet is varied and of quality. I missed the Japanese restaurant that once existed in this resort. The proximity and excellent access to Salgados beach is an asset of this hotel.
I would like to highlight the friendliness and efficiency of all the staff who made every effort to make our stay during the pandemic period as pleasant as possible. The hotel spa is pretty good. I found the gym too small for the number of hotel guests.
Without a doubt, it is a very good choice for those who want a few days of rest with their family.
Great in so many ways
Reviewed 7 June, 2021
Just returned from a half term week at VidaMar. All in all its a great hotel. Pro's - rooms are recently redone, large, well appointed, spotlessly clean, nice beds and good shower. Pool and garden areas beautiful and well spread out (didn't make it to the Mar Club but that looked lush), the hotel is positioned by a stunning and well kept beach. Stunning spa with really lovely staff. In fact staff all round were all so nice and super friendly and efficient. Good stuff going on for kids, and we loved the guy with the trumpet by the pool. Big thumbs up to the Sunset bar for lovely lunches and great staff. Cons - I've only given VidaMar 4 stars as its buffet restaurant lets it down. This is where you currently go for breakfast and dinner. As before, the staff are great and its very clean but the food is way below 5 star level. Its not bad or offensive in any way its just very basic, bland and not much choice. Saying this we are travelling in the world of covid (well managed by hotel in general) and that may have had an impact, and in generally we don't like buffets. Wished the other restaurants had been open. All in all, fab though- thanks for having us.